October 26, 2016

SELF REFLECTION: TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF AND THEN MAKE A CHANGE

credit: juco photo

If you're currently in a state of struggle in your business, building your brand or blog, please take this moment. Sit back, breathe and feel my words.  Re-read, post, share, bookmark and read again. You aren't alone. I see you, I hear you and I want to try and help. 




Three decades later and I'm still inspired by the lyrics of Michael Jackson. He was a legend and he made his mark in this world. I want to share some words of wisdom with you to guide you in your own path to success.

I've been a self-employed, entrepreneur since I was 18.  I graduated high school and joined the ranks of the overworked and underpaid world of filmmaking. After many years of hard work, passion and dedication, my checks were larger and the work became easier. When I was able to hire a team to support me and my vision, it didn't seem like work anymore. I felt lucky and so grateful that I could finally make a living doing something most people only dream of.  I didn't take one moment for granted, but I did stand up for myself.

In 2006, I made the decision to move Denmark (that personal story is a long, four-year one that I jut prefer to keep in the past) and I gave up my entire career I had spent 12 years building. Fast forward to 2010. I'm back home in the states and my blog is now two years old. I created it out of my love of fashion and my need to have a creative outlet. It has quickly turned into a business and I needed to either keep building it, or give up and go back to styling in the film world. Do I balance both? Am I crazy? Do I have the time? Send help.  

In the end, my blog won. My passion for styling, has never left me and perhaps I will dive back in again in time. Over the past 9 years my blog has provided me confusion, struggles, new friends, money, self-worth, insight, a creative outlet, lessons, sanity, insanity, clarity, inspiration, motivation, headaches and turmoil.  Thought I was going to tell you have wonderful and perfect it's been, didn't you? Surprise! It's not easy. It hasn't been easy. It will never be easy. If it was easy, then it wouldn't be worth it. Without the struggles, I wouldn't of grown. Making mistakes and learning from them have propelled me forward numerous times. 

When you feel that you aren't succeeding and you've tried every trick in the book, look again. 

But don't look at your blog or your business or brand, look at who's driving it.  What are your fears? What doubts creep in your head about yourself?  Do you really believe your business will succeed? Are you scared of success?  What a silly question. Hopefully you just asked yourself, "Why would I be scared of success when all I've been doing is killing myself trying to achieve it?", because that is exactly what I wanted you to say. 

I don't doubt for a minute that you haven't been working 12-15 hour days, 6 days a week for what might feel like an eternity, because that's my life too.  I feel you, it's exhausting.  How can we work so hard, yet our successes are smaller than we want or need them to be?  

I'm my own brand and if I'm not at 100%, then that is directly affecting my brand.  One of the worst qualities I posses is my negative way of thinking. I've led a hard life and even though from the outside it might not look it, but I've been homeless, broke, neglected, filled with depression and anxiety and felt worthless.  I've always put on a brave face, but the trauma that life has dealt me, can sometimes catch up with me. How am I supposed to stay positive and conquer the world when I'm afraid every path might lead to failure?  

I change.

I change my way of thinking. 

This doesn't happen overnight and you truly have to be open to self-growth.  You have to look at yourself and know that your circumstances and fears don't define you.  It's not easy. It may come in many forms. Tears, anger, confusion, irritation or just a plain ole' panic attack. Let it emerge. Get the sh*t out.

Don't be afraid to fail. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Don't be scared of falling flat on your face.

The only person that determines if you are worthy of success, is you.

There's no comparison. Screw competition. Just do better than you did yesterday and they day before and the day before that. Step back and take the time you need to take to reflect on you, not your business, but you.  Find your flaws. See the similarities between your business and your own head. I bet if you took a look, you might be surprised. 

If you want to share your struggles or thoughts, I would love to hear them. 
xo

No comments :